Getting married abroad

Guidance for British citizens planning to get married abroad.

Certificate of No Impediment

If you are getting married abroad you might require a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) to show the relevant authorities that you are legally free to get married. Not all countries require this document. To obtain a CNI, you have to attend a Notice of Marriage appointment at a Register Office.
Check if you require a CNI
Not all countries require a CNI. Check below if your destination country requires this document.
Where to give Notice
Notices must be given at a Register Office in the county you live in. It doesn't have to be your nearest office.
When to give Notice
Confirm with the relevant authorities in the country you're getting married in how long CNIs are valid there. Then contact us to book your appointment.
Who needs to attend
The person requiring the CNI has to attend the appointment. This could be both of you if you are both UK citizens, or just one of you, depending on circumstances. We can only issue CNIs for UK citizens.
The fee for CNI is £42 per person, £84 per couple. Additional fees may apply.
What to bring to your appointment
We require proof of nationality, confirmation of the date and place of your wedding, address and identity and, if applicable, proof of divorce. Please see below for acceptable documents*
Collecting your CNI
Your CNI will be ready for collection 29 days after your appointment from the Register Office you gave Notice in.

*Accepted documents

List of accepted documents required for your appointment.

CNI requirements by country